There are so many different ways that community members can get involved in protecting our oceans!
Join The Team! The CAFNEC Marine Response Team is a dynamic, friendly and empowering group. There are many different ways that a team member can contribute, so sign up and find out how you can be a part of it all!
Sign the Petition to stop the proposed dredging of 4.3 million cubic meters from Trinity Inlet. Right now Cairns faces a huge dredging proposal that, if approved, will put huge stress on the reef. Read more on our dredging information page.
Check our Every Day Change page to see what actions you can take in every day life and when visiting the reef, to ensure that you are reducing your impact on the reef.
Recent Team Activities include:
– Cairns Drain Stencil Project : hands on community water quality awareness project currently being held in Manoora, Manunda and Mooroobool, as part of the 3MPride initiative
– Boomerang Bags Cairns Chapter: community driven projects using recycled material to make bags where one bag equals one conversation about the plastic issue and waste in general
– 2017 Plastic Free July: harnessing the power of many individuals, new ideas and a passion for change to reduce our plastic consumption
– “Reef Animals for Renewables” Cairns pageant
– Community forum on Cairns Port Dredging: linking the community with independent leading scientists and local tourism operators ‘Reef hour’ Events – encouraging the community to debate and discus Great Barrier Reef protection
– Community information stalls: e.g Rusty’s markets
– Ongoing petitioning to local, state and federal government